A coral island, Key West is a popular vacation destination for the amazing diving and snorkeling opportunities, along with the spectacular boating and fishing. But that is not to say that the few beaches Key West has are not beautiful. In fact, coral reefs block the wave action, making the sea off Key West calm and perfect for swimming! Tropical fish, warm water, and the best harbor sunsets will make your Key West romantic getaway or Florida Keys family vacation one you will remember forever!
Some of the beaches of Key West:
- Fort Zachary Taylor Beach and State Park: A nice mixture of sand, rocks, and coral rock make swimming and snorkeling off of the beach’s three coves lots of fun! Discover the incredible underwater wildlife, such as colorful parrot fish, lobsters, and various coral.
- Smathers Beach: Key West’s largest beach, Smathers Beach is about a mile long, runs along the southern shore of the island, and is the closest to a stereotypical beach vacation atmosphere in Key West. This beach offers the most white sand and is conveniently located near Key West hotel accommodations and restaurants. Calm, shallow water allows for great swimming and basic snorkeling and several vendors rent kayaks and other beach equipment.
- South Beach: One of the most popular beaches in Key West for its island charm, South Beach is tucked between a hotel and concrete pier, and a favorite of the locals. Definitely one of Key West’s smallest beaches, it has lovely turquoise waters and is close to lots of other Key West attractions and activities.
- Higg’s Beach: Close to the all the action in Key West, this beach is a family favorite with coconut palms, small pier, pavilions, volleyball, and playground. The perfect place to learn to snorkel, Higg’s Beach is shallow and offers lots of opportunities to study the coral of Key West, and it’s just a short walk away from the best Key West hotels, bed and breakfasts, and restaurants.
- Dog Beach: For the travelers who refuse to leave their four-legged family members home, this beach occupies a small corner of the Key West shoreline and is a puppy playland! Spread your blanket on the sand and watch Lassie, Toto, or whatever type of “man’s best friend” you have run wild and play in the sea!